Apple Berry Crisp
This easy recipe makes a wonderful breakfast. Organic apples are best (peels are chock full of nutrients). Serven warm or at room temperature. Freeze leftovers in a BPA-free container for future breakfasts.
Source: Good Morning Paleo by Jane Barthelemy
For 1 Person(s)
- 1 cup(s) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon(s) Just Like Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) unprocessed salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) melted coconut oil (put the jar in a bowl of warm water)
- 1/4 cup(s) chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts) soaked and toasted if possible
- about 2 tablespoons Just Like Sugar to taste
- 5 organic Granny Smith apples, unpeeled for extra nutrients
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- zest of half an orange
- 1/2 cup unsweetened berries, fresh or frozen (raspberries, cranberries, or strawberries)
Apple Berry Crisp Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- Core the apples and slice them very thin into a large mixing bowl (peeling them is optional).
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, sweetener, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange zest. Add the berries and stir the mixture gently. Sweeten to taste.
- Put the apples and berries into the baking dish. They'll be very tall, but dont' worry, they'll cook down.
- For the streusel topping, in a small mixing bowl, mix the coconut, cinnamon, sweetener, salt, coconut oil, and chopped nuts. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples and press it in.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until apples are soft.