An autoimmune disease develops when your immune system, which defends your body against disease, decides your healthy cells are foreign. As a result, your immune system attacks healthy cells. Depending on the type, an autoimmune disease can affect one or many different types of body tissue. It can also cause abnormal organ growth and changes in organ function. Gentetics only account for about 25% of your risk for developing and autoimmune disease. The other 75% is your environment. There are five environmental factors in particular that can put you on the autoimmune spectrum or push you over the edge into full blown autoimmune disease: an unhealthy gut, poor diet, toxins, infections and stress. The foundations are a great place to start when dealing with autoimmune disease.